This course provides a detailed examination of z/OS for systems programmers. Topics include an introduction to computer systems hardware and an exploration of architecture, system services and functions, storage management mechanisms, and I/O processes. Each section will also explore the associated control block structures associated with the operations being looked at.
Experienced systems programmers with a need for a more detailed understanding of z/OS functions. Due to the technical nature of this material, the student should have several years experience in the OS/390 environment.
Introduction to Computer Systems Architecture
- Examine processor architecture and its role in supporting z/OS facilities.
- Introduction to storage hierarchy: L1 and L2 cache memories and various architectural enhancements to enable processors to achieve their rated speeds.
- Review of processor power ratings and their associated metrics.
System Initialization (IPL)
- Interrupt handling and SVC functions
- Address space structure
- Cross memory services
- Logical partitioning (LPAR)
System Services and Functions
- IPL process details
- IPL Program functions
- Nuclear Initialization Program
- Master Scheduler Initialization
Storage Management Mechanisms
- Role of OS/390 Dispatcher
- Task management
- Resource serialization
- Recovery/Termination management
- Virtual Lookaside Facility (VLF)
- Real storage management:
- Central and expanded storage usage
- Virtual storage management:
- Paging/Swapping mechanisms
- Auxiliary storage management
- Introduction to DASD hardware functions:
- CKD, ECKD, and FBA devices
- Parallel Access Volumes (PAV)
- Volume Affinity
- Components of I/O operation:
- Introduction to channel command processing
- Access method services
- Caching mechanisms
- Batch LSR
- Parallel sysplex
- Data buffering
- Introduction to WLM Goal mode
- Metrics associated with performance objectives
- Basic control mechanisms of WLM
- 64-bit storage addressability
- WLM enhancements
- Intelligent Resource Director
- Workload licensing
Our z/OS experts can cover any and all topics on this subject—topics can be added or deleted per Client’s needs.